Annual Business Meeting, Stevens Park Clubhouse
Tuesday, May 16, 2023 6:30 pm
Guest Speaker: Karen Woodward, City of Dallas Arborist
Topic “How to Keep Our Large, Valuable Trees Healthy
Business Meeting Agenda:
- President’s Report-Carol Rybarski: The demographics of SPE are changing with younger families with children moving here. SPENA would like to hear from the families, as to what they want/need from SPENA. Also, the plantings at the triangle at No. Oak Cliff and Plymouth need attention. There probably will be another Work Day in June. All volunteers are welcome
- Treasurer’s Report-Nathan Cox: There was 43% membership in SPENA at end of 2022. To date there is 35%. PayPal has not been functioning, but it is now fixed.
- Communications Update-Kenda North: “Did You Know…” is a new addition to Constant Comment. If a SPE household does not get our emails, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1950 Fort Worth Avenue [Miramar] Update-Carol Somers-Clark: the City is looking for a provider to oversee residents, on site services and facility maintenance. The provider will be governed by a “Good Neighbor Agreement” prepared by the neighbors of North Oak Cliff, specifically Stevens Park Estates and Stevens Park Village.
- Historian Report-Jim Barnes: the 2024 total eclipse of the sun will be Monday, April 8, 2024 starting at 1:40 PM and continuing for about 3 minutes and 52 seconds total. It is anticipated that there will be a lot of people in the SPE area for this event. Three important dates for the upcoming Centennial of SPE are as follows:
- 5/17/1924 -the golf course opened with nine holes
- 9/25/1925 -the first plat of SPE
- 8/9/1926 -the full plat of SPE
- NOCCUP Report-Wilson Meador: NOCCUP does “slow patrols” through the neighborhood. Most of the patrols are during the daytime, when many people are not at home. If you’re going to be out of town you can inform NOCCUP.
- New Business
Presentation by neighborhood advocate, Kyle Wick
- Traffic Issues and Walkability-Intersection Colorado and No. Oak Cliff Blvd- an island similar to the one on Colorado, by Kessler Methodist Church, is being considered
- Neighborhood Park Additions-Pickle Ball and Padel Courts- several sites have been considered, with the area around the pavilion by the Golf Course now taking priority. This will be a request for the 2024 city-wide Bond package
- Annie Stevens Park Improvements-The 2024 Dallas Bond Package might provide funding for improvements to the playground.
- Recommendation to survey neighbors’ interests/concerns related to projects noted above. SPENA board will work on some type of survey, possibly in conjunction with Chad West’s office.
- Meeting Closure 7:55 pm
The next SPENA Board Mtg will be held Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 7 pm at the Willsons, 1940 Old Orchard Drive.
Nancy and Riley Willson