All Posts By

stevenspark

August 16, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Attendees:

  • Julie Helwig, President
  • Michelle Stellmaker, Treasurer
  • Kenda North, Past President
  • Cheryl Freydberg, Social
  • Ellie Hajek, Membership
  • Bryon Adinoff, Greenspace Rep
  • Wilson Meador, NOCOPP Rep

I. Financials
a. Checking balance = $2387.01
b. Savings balance = $5007.34
c. Total balance = $7394.35
d. Deposit for website recently sent = $811.88. total bill = $1623.75

II. Directory
a. We are at the starting line. Kenda is the lead for the project
b. Kenda passed out a spreadsheet for us to indicate who we will speak with to purchase ads for the directory. Hoping to print in Oct.
c. Message has been sent to neighbors via Nextdoor to update their directory info if it has changed.
d. Kenda and Ellie comparing notes for existing directory list.

III. Ellie Updates
a. OOCCL Home Tour Oct 15 and 16 – Seeking volunteers for 303 N. Willomet
b. New resident baskets – Project is bigger than anticipated. Lots of new neighbors! Will include Tom Thumb number on the Resource page. Other neighborhood associations are getting decent Tom Thumb rewards annually.
c. Annie Stevens Water Fountain – Ellie a bit out of the loop. She thought Kurt and Bob were meeting this week. We expect to be billed in Sept. TBD on timing of the fountain.

IV. Website update
a. Julie spoke with Vicky last week. She is getting to work. She expected it to take a couple of weeks to send us a new look for revisions

V. Kenda – Stevens Park CD Revision Meeting
a. Nothing meaningful to report from July 25th meeting (neighbors only not the city)
b. Expect notification from the city soon for another meeting. This is a SLOW process.

VI. Lighting Update
a. Julie and Bryon walked the neighborhood. We used Ellie’s spreadsheet as a guide. Good news – all of our existing lights are working. We (Ellie’s spreadsheet along with our walk) identified a couple of corners that currently do not have lights. E‐mail pending to Scott Griggs’ office to ask about lighting on those corners. It should be noted that Ellie had a couple of corners on her  spreadsheet (Marydale & Hampton, Mayflower & Hampton and Old Orchard & Hampton) that we thought were sufficient.

VII. Social
a. September – Confirmed for Sept with JC and Rhea Allen
b. New Member Brunch – Oct 2nd. Invitations will go out mid‐Sept. Cheryl will work on invite.

VIII. Addresses
a. Further research in the works regarding the quality/longevity of Dallas Curb Painting’s work.

July 19, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Attendees:

  • Julie Helwig, President & Social Media
  • Kathryn Warren, Vice President
  • Michelle Stellmaker, Treasurer
  • Valerie Penn, Secretary
  • Kenda North, Past‐President
  • Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL Rep
  • Cheryl Freydberg, Social Chair
  • Joanna Robben, Social Co‐Chair
  • Bryon Addinoff, Past‐President & Greenspace

1. Crescent Bishop Arts Mixed Use Proposal
Michael Blackwell of Crescent Communities presented their proposal at Zang and Davis. Focused on pedestrian, high density mixture of retail and residential including restaurants, grocery, bike shop, pet shop, fitness center, etc.. Looking to build an integrated type of space. Still going through contractual negotiations, zoning and getting overall community buy‐in. Zoning meeting is  Thursday. Spring 2018 would be earliest.

2. Financials
2015 reimbursement from OOCCL for sidewalks and pet waste stations still pending ($1k). 2016 OOCCL grant of $2050 incoming to offset the water fountain. Current estimated expenses is $9.9k against $10.6k total funds (including OOCCL grants).

3. Address discussion
Decision to use white background, black numbers with purple iris. Existing funds will be used for all addresses in the neighborhood with an option for people to provide funds to defray costs.

4. Website discussion
Decision to update website to streamline experience and minimize costing.

5. Stevens Park CD Revision Meeting First meeting was focused on city discussing the process and details surrounding revisions to the Conservation District (CD). Lively discussion around loosening up theCD, what the city is considering, etc. Next discussion meeting is Monday July 25 to come up with the major items for the city to vet. This is a two year process and we need 55‐85% of the community agreement.

6. Lighting Update
Will walk the neighborhood to determine the scope. Decision to talk to Scott Griggs office to see if this is something the city would consider. Looking at having city put lights in on dark corners.

7. Social
First Friday for August (Aug 5) confirmed at Bouchon 1314 with discounted drinks. First Fridays are booked until holiday/December. Julie or Valerie will host new member brunch. We have 16 new households. Sunday October 2nd starting 10‐11am.

8. Directory fundraising
Template is done, pricing is done. Kenda will send out the information. Plan is September or October printing.

June 21, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Attendees:

  • Julie Helwig, President & Social Media
  • Kathryn Warren, Vice President
  • Michelle Stellmaker, Treasurer
  • Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL Rep
  • Cheryl Freydberg, Social Chair
  • Wilson Meador, NOCUPP Rep
  • Bryon Addinoff, Past‐President & Greenspace
  • Kenda North, Past‐President
  • Valerie Penn, Secretary

1. Financials
The Oak Cliff Conservation League funded SPENA’s grant request for installing one water fountain in Annie Stevens Park and one on the Coombs Creek Trail Extension in cooperation with West Kessler Neighborhood Association and Greenspace. The League did not fund SPENA’s request for new curb numbers. SPENA’s request for Grow South’s funds for neighborhood projects was not  funded.

2. Website discussion
Still discussing. Focused on key functionality and balanced with costs. Valerie will reach out to Oxbow Labs for a second opinion and estimate.

3. Address discussion
Decision to get addition bid and look at alternative color. Next board meeting review funding and opt in/opt out. Bryon will contact Dallas Curb Painting for second estimate and paint discussion.

4. Stevens Park CD Revision Meeting
Kenda reported that a committee of neighbors has been working on revisions to the current Conservation District language to ease restrictions on window replacement. The City was notified of the intent and the formation of the ad‐hoc committee. The City arranged for an initial meeting to discuss this at the Stevens Park Golfcourse Clubhouse on Monday evening July 11th. All SPENA residents will receive notice by mail.

5. Lighting Update
Decision to talk to Scott Griggs office to see if this is something the city would consider. Looking at having city put lights in on dark corners. Julie will lead as Ron Somers‐Clark does not have the time.

6. Social
No July First Friday. August is tentatively at Bouchon 1314.

7. Directory fundraising
Kenda to lead out and help go out and get some ads. Template is done, pricing is done. Need to get information on new neighbors. Plan is September or October printing.

March 15, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Attendees:

  • Julie Helwig, President & Social Media
  • Kathryn Warren, Vice President
  • Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL Rep
  • Bryon Adinoff, Past‐President & Greenspace

Agenda Topic 1: Annual Meeting

Shooting for a Thursday in May. Julie reached out to Jim Henderson at Stevens Park Golf Course to inquire about availability. (Turner House would be the suggested back‐up if we can’t get the Golf Course.) Julie will reach out to Scott Griggs’ office for availability as well as Michael Blackwell at Crescent Communities. (Davis/Zang development.) Potentially a 3rd speaker? We’d like Wilson to make a 5 minute plug for NOCUPP during the meeting.

  • Julie spoke with Steven in Scott’s office on Wed 3/16. Scott is available Thurs May 5th.
  • The golf course is not available May 5th. Turner House is available.
  • Julie sent a note to Michael Blackwell on Wed 3/16 asking for his availability the 5th as well.

Agenda Topic 2: Social

  • Bouchon 1314 was a hit. We would definitely repeat having First Friday at a local restaurant/bar in lieu of a neighborhood home. August? We’ll need a spot with good AC!
  • Kathryn mentioned that she thinks a First Friday at Chicken Scratch would be great, weather permitting. With April and May First Fridays taken, the conversation turned to doing a kid friendly extra happy hour there in April or May. She is going to consider a “family focused” late Sunday afternoon at Chicken Scratch in lieu of re‐trying Second Saturdays. A Sunday afternoon might be easier for people’s schedules. Saturdays are always so busy with activities (ie birthday parties and sports) April 10th is Earth Day at Lake Cliff Park so it would not be that day.
  • Easter – Kathryn has the eggs ordered. She needs to fill them! Candy due to her doorstep by Friday March 25th.
  • Block Party – Our small group suggested May 14th or 21st.
  • Follow‐up: Cheryl is out of town those days. She suggested April 30th or May 7th. (May 7th was not preferred by our small group due to Mother’s Day on the 8th.) Do we want to do the Block Party in the Spring again or punt until Fall?

Agenda Topic 3: Old Oak Cliff Grant – April 16th, due May 27th

It’s Ellie’s feeling that we could get a bigger grant if our request was for the community at large in lieu of our neighborhood alone (sidewalks). We’ve talked about a water fountain at Annie Stevens Park before. Annie Stevens Park serves a greater population than Stevens Park Estates. We (Ellie, Bryon, Kathryn and Julie) recommend submitting our grant for the water fountain. Ellie has chatted with the West Kessler rep and they indicated that they’d like to see a water fountain there as well. Ellie is going to circle back to West Kessler and inquire if they would be interested in submitting their grant for the water fountain as well. The water fountain could be as much as $10,000. In order to make it happen, we’d probably need our grant and West Kessler’s as well as the Grow South Grant in conjunction with Greenspace. If there is money remaining, a free library (also for the community at large) could be considered.

We talked about addresses … Bryon talked to the guy that did the West Kessler addresses. It’s $13 per address for more than 50. Addresses are worth pursuing but via a different route than grant money (ie: a fundraiser or a SPENA/homeowner shared cost). The homeowner would need to opt in to the new address. Design and more importantly, color, would need to be agreed upon prior to implementation. Sidewalks … No one is begging us to do sidewalks right now. We’d like to take a break from that endeavor.

Agenda Topic 4: Ellie Updates

  • Sidewalks – Discussion at/regarding Neil’s corner upcoming.
  • Pet Waste Stations – They are ordered. Should be installed by the end of March. Re‐thinkinglocation for 3rd waste station. It was targeted for the loop near Plymouth/Hampton but it does not seem like an area with much traffic. Corner of Colorado and Plymouth is probably a better spot.

Agenda Topic 5: Lighting Update

Ron Summers‐Clark reported that all lights on the south side of Colorado between Plymouth and Kessler Pkwy, including in the little park area, are all working. He will start through the rest of the neighborhood to the identified dark areas. He will talk to homeowners about new light installation. He’s in contact with Scott Griggs’ office and understands the procedures to work on a resolution.

Agenda Topic 6: Re‐branding and logo
Shawn Johnson, a West Kessler resident, has re‐designed their website and newsletter. It looks great. Out of curiosity, Ellie is going to reach out to Shawn to inquire about pricing for an overhaul of our website/material. A continual topic of discussion …

Agenda Topic 7: Dallas Homeowners Association

Bryon sent an e‐mail to Eloy. Eloy sent a message to the new President and we never heard back.

Kathryn volunteered to be our rep months ago. She’s no longer dying to do it, and they don’t seem like they are dying to have us. We’ll re‐address if they re‐surface.
Agenda Topic 8: April Meeting

Julie needs to move the April meeting to Monday April 18th in lieu of Tuesday April 19th. This was ok by Kathryn, Ellie and Bryon. Follow‐up: The 18th does not work for Cheryl and Michelle. With no further business to discuss, the meeting ended.