All Posts By

Julie Helwig

March 21, 2017

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Location: Julie Helwig’s House

Attendees: Julie Helwig, President; Kenda North, Past President; Cheryl Freydberg, Social; Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL; Wilson Meador, NOCCUP Representative, Michelle Stellmaker, Acting Secretary & Treasurer; Michelle Touchet, Non-acting Secretary

Absent: Kathryn Warren, Vice President; Bryon, Greenspace Representative; Carole Somers-Clark, OOCCL Representative

I. Financials

  • Currently 41 members
  • Need to continue to work on savings account access
  • Current balance: checking: $3,262.86; savings: $5,007.67

II. Social

  • Sat April 1 – Garage sale—SPENA to provide signs only due to low responses for participation (i.e. no print advertising)

o   Currently only 3 addresses have committed

  • Sat April 8 – Crawfish Boil NOTE: first Saturday this month

o   Crawfish boil @ JC and Rhea’s (corner of Old Orchard and North Oak Cliff Blvd)

o   BYOB

o   5:00 pm

  • Sun April 16 – Easter Egg Hunt
  • Sat April 22 – It’s My Park Day

o   City to provide dog waste bags, trash bags, maybe pincer picker-uppers

o   Bring your gloves!

o    Inviting West Kessler to both teh Easter Egg Hunt and It’s My Park Day due to proximity—and they are helping to pay for the water fountain that should be installed soon

  • Fri May 5 – First Friday (as yet to be confirmed)
  • Sat May 13 – Block Party

o   Annie Stevens Park

o   Lucky Pierres confirmed to perform

o   The Hamburger Man will be providing meals for $5/person (SPENA to pick up the overage)

o   Need tables, chairs, bounce house vendor

*ABC Party

*Todo Para tu Pachanga

o   Beverages

*Michelle to bring some wine and beer

*Julie to bring non-alcoholic (water/lemonade)

o   Other features

*Face painting

*Fire truck

*Dallas City Hall on the Go Van

III.    Old Oak Cliff Symposium Take-Aways (Julie attended)

o   STP-Same ten people—we need to implement a strategy to draw more of our neighbors into active participation (step by step)

*Personally invite neighbors to events

*Walk new neighbors to events

*The use of block captains was tabled. This has been tried in the past with little success

*Refer to the $40/household as a donation to SPENA (rather than dues). This is a tax deductible expense

o   Will work on a grant from the OOCCL, Kathryn & Ellie

*Beneficiary: Stevens Park Elementary

*Principal to provide SPENA with a wish list by Friday, 3/31/17

o   New OOCCL Representative: Carole Somers-Clark (Yay, Carole!!)

IV. By-laws

o   Michelle converted them from PDF to Word

o   Still needs some cleaning up

o   Once this is done, we will need to review and revise

 

The next meeting will be held at the Stevens Park Golf Course Clubhouse on Tuesday, April 18 at 7:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Michelle Touchet

February 23, 2017

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments
   

SPENA Board Meeting

Meeting Minutes

February 23, 2017

 

 

Board Members Present Julie Helwig, President; Kathryn Warren, Vice President; Michelle Stellmaker, Acting Secretary; Kenda North, Past President; Cheryl Freydberg, Social; Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL; Bryon Adinoff, North Oak Cliff Greenspace; Michelle Touchet

 

Action Items Summary:

Action Responsible Due Date
Financials: Increase paid memberships via directory distribution all ongoing
Financials: Tweak membership application Ellie before March 6
Financials: Ask Green Space about water fountains Bryon next Green Space mtg
Financials: Ask city about fountains Ellie ASAP
Directory: Print out 250 membership applications Michelle March 6
Social: Place signs RE: neighborhood event Kenda March 2
Social:  Provide Cheese and Chutney platter Cheryl, Kenda March 3 (FF)
Social: Ask Mike & Saul if they can host another month Cheryl By March 21
By-Laws: Create draft version of current by-laws Julie March 21

 

Opening:  The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm.  Michelle Stellmaker will be acting as the Secretary for this Board meeting. The meeting was conducted in-person at the Helwig residence, 1826 Marydale.

 

Financials: (Michelle S.)

  • Brian VanderMolen has been taken off the SPENA Savings Account.
  • Michelle Stellmaker will be responsible for going to the bank to conduct business.
  • Membership-currently at 37 paid memberships; lower than this point last year; membership party was lightly attended this year
  • Confirmed sidewalk and pet waste stations reimbursement from OOCCL (Grant)
  • Still no word on the status of the water fountains
  • Will provide membership applications (half-sheet format) with delivered directories
  • Action Item: Ellie will tweak the membership application
  • Action Item: Increase paid memberships (via directory distribution)
  • Action Item: Bryan will ask about water fountains at next Green Space meeting
  • Action Item: Ellie will ask the city about water fountains

 

Directory:      

  • 24 of the directories have been printed; the rest of the directories will be printed by Monday (2.27)
  • Cheryl will be out of town, so we’ll distribute the directories the week of March 6
  • Volunteers to deliver: Pittengers (Old Orchard); Nicholsons; Rybarski
  • Action Item: Michelle to print out 250 membership applications to go with the directory distribution

 

Dash for the Beads: (Julie)

  • Need volunteers to staff our water station at the corner of Colorado and Plymouth
  • Dash will provide Gatorade; Rob Lee will provide tables; Michelle Touchet will provide large igloo beverage dispenser

 

Social: (Cheryl)

  • First Fridays are experiencing lower attendance (may be due to new families with young children?)
  • Focusing on more ‘family’ events to include more neighbors
  • March First Friday (March 3); Host: Meredith Petree (Marydale)
  • April Events

o       Garage sale-promote via Facebook, Constant Contact; remind individuals they must be permitted (free online application: https://dallascityhall.com/departments/codecompliance/garagesale/DCH%20documents/garageSale_application.pdf)

o       Corner Crawl-JC & Rhea Allen and Melissa & Tom Jordan and other house?; details TBD

o       Easter Egg Hunt (Toddler Park, April 16, 9:00); Kathryn to coordinate candy and eggs (donations accepted at 2037 Mayflower)

o       It’s My Park Day April 22

  • May Events

o       Block Party (Date pending)

▪        Lucky Pierres to perform (Pittengers, Old Orchard)

▪        Hire Mr. Hamburger at $11 per person (all inclusive – burgers, condiments, sides)

▪        SPENA to cover $6, Neighbor to pay $5 per person (Still to be confirmed)

▪        Possibly ask a select group to bring desserts

▪        Mike and Saul have volunteered to host First Friday in May,

  • Action Item: Place signs RE: neighborhood event week of Feb 27
  • Action Item: Cheryl and Kenda to provide Cheese and Chutney platter for First Friday. Michelle S, Ellie and Julie will chip in something as well.

 

By-Laws (Julie)

  • Need an electronic ‘working document’ of current by-laws so we can rearrange/edit
  • Action Item: Julie to working on Draft version of current by-laws. Michelle offered to see if PDF can be converted.

 

OOCL Rep: (Ellie)

  • Need to recruit a SPENA neighbor to join OOCCL to report and vote SPENA’s interests
  • Position is manageable, clearly defined
  • OOCCL is a well-established organization with many participating interested parties

 

Conservation District Update (Kenda and Michelle)

  • Petitions have been acquired for each homeowner/household
  • 53% of listed owners must sign their purple petition forms in order to move forward with any discussions with The City
  • Purple petition forms were discussed with and given to present board members

New Topics:

  • OOCCL grant application for this year (Ellie); potential partners include: Stevens Park Elem, Kahn Elem, or Lida Hooe Elem; additional partner would help leverage money and make bigger contribution to the community
  • Green Space (Bryon)- Will a donation to this group be on the budget again this year? Answer: Depends on the number of paid members we get; If so, we will give donation during the Green Space Golf Tournament (SPENA sponsor flag on the course)

 

Closing:   The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm

 

Next Meeting:  Tuesday, March 21, 7:00 pm

 

 

January 17, 2017

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

January 17, 2017

SPENA Board Meeting Minutes

Location: Helwig House – 1826 Marydale

Attendees:          Kenda North, Past President

                              Julie Helwig, President

                              Kathryn Warren, Vice President

                              Michelle Stellmaker, Secretary

                              Ellie Hajek, OOCCL Rep & Membership

                              Bryon Adinoff, Greenspace

       I.          Financials

a.      Sidewalk reimbursements – Ellie said Michelle’s spreadsheet is sufficient. Michelle will send to OOCCL.

b.      Savings account access – Still pending

c.      Milner Family donation – $200 from SPENA to Fundme page approved.  Michelle will go online & pay.  We will have a bowl for additional donations at the Membership Party.

d.      Nothing on the water fountain front.

      II.          Logo

a.      Facebook – Logo changed

b.      Website – Logo changed. Background changed to white as JH didn’t like the orange. The website still needs work but much better.

    III.          Membership Party

a.      Invitations door to door – People have their street assignments

b.      Square payment ability will be at the party – Kenda will mention in Constant Contact

c.      Website payment encouragement – Kenda will mention in Constant Contact

d.      Food – Desserts or apps will be contributed from the Board as well as neighbors. Ellie thought Cheryl had secured food donations from Bolsa Mercado. JH will confirm with Cheryl.  

1.      Nametags – Julie

2.      Wine & Beer – Michelle

3.      Nominating Committee announcement at the party – Wilson will present the Board

4.      Membership Table – Sign -up sheet complete.

5.      Bartender duties? Cheryl do we need a bartender/have a bartender?

6.      First Friday sign-up sheet

7.      Signature drink?

    IV.          Spam

a.      Sent a note to Dreamhost – they do not see that we got hacked. Ged was the only one with this concern. The rest of the Board does not believe they are getting spam.

b.      JH can’t figure out how to log in to webmail. JH will figure out at some point. Not urgent.

     V.          Directory

a.      Kenda is plugging away

b.      Directory will be passed out door to door.  We are not giving them out at the party.

 

Next Board meeting Tuesday Feb 21st.

 

 

November 22, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Meeting location:         Helwig Residence

Attendees:                       

Julie Helwig, President & Social Media

Michelle Stellmaker, Treasurer

Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL Rep

Valerie Penn, Secretary

Chad West, 2017 Dash for Beads

  1. 2017 Dash for the Beads

8th Annual Good Space Dash for the Beads will be Feb 25th.  This year a 10K will be included with the 5K and 1 Mile walk.  100% charitable – proceeds go to local schools focused on health and wellness.  Volunteers are encouraged and welcome as well.

Sign up in at www.dashforthebeads.org.

  1. Financials

Current financials has ~$5k in savings and ~$800 in checking.  Need to access savings account because the account is considered inactive.  Bank requiring in person changes.

  1. Directory Fundraising

Will deliver the directories out.  Additional ads welcome.  Michelle can translate data to Excel.  .

  1. Social

December First Friday – Carol and Joe R at 1935 Colorado

  1. New Neighbor participation

There will be openings on the Board and want to assign a nominating committee to move forward on communicating and gathering names for new Board.

  1. Sidewalks

Need to identify sidewalk to replace as part of the process to finish out our grant.

 

Next Board Meeting – Tuesday Dec 20th

  • Review Bylaws

September 20, 2016

By | Meeting Minutes | No Comments

Meeting location: Stevens Park Golf Course Clubhouse

Attendees:                                 

Julie Helwig, President & Social Media

Michelle Stellmaker, Treasurer

Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL Rep

Cheryl Freydberg, Social Chair

Kenda North, Past-President

Valerie Penn, Secretary

  1. Financials

Michelle has still not accessed the savings account. (Signers were changed on the checking account but not savings.) She hasn’t had luck on the weekends. She’ll make a trip to the bank during the week.

  1. Addresses

Decision to abandon project to fund.

Decision to pay vendor for painting the test curbs.  $150 check going to Shawn.

  1. Directory Fundraising

Reviewed submissions for business advertisements.

Still looking for assistance with graphic design or simple Photoshop.

  1. Website feedback

Working on gathering feedback, adding some pictures of the neighborhood, etc.

  1. Lighting Update

Working with Scott Griggs’ office to investigate the two dark corners.  Department of Street Services will review within the next 10-70 days to determine whether lights are needed.

If the city determines lights are needed, next steps would include discussions with neighbors and identification of funding.

  1. Social

Halloween coming up.  Need to organize the police and barricades and city.  Bryon Adinoff to take ownership.

New neighbor brunch.  Invitations went out.  Sunday Oct 2 from 11am-1pm.

Oct First Friday Oct 7th – Gonzalez Tailgating in backyard

Nov First Friday – Adinoff on Marydale

Home Tour Oct 15 & 16 – still looking for volunteers

  1. Sidewalks

Limited funding remaining to address a sidewalk issue.  Kenda to reach out to get another bid.

 

Next Board Meeting – Tuesday October 18th

  • Review Bylaws