SPENA Board Meeting

Meeting Minutes

February 23, 2017

 

 

Board Members Present Julie Helwig, President; Kathryn Warren, Vice President; Michelle Stellmaker, Acting Secretary; Kenda North, Past President; Cheryl Freydberg, Social; Ellie Hajek, Membership & OOCCL; Bryon Adinoff, North Oak Cliff Greenspace; Michelle Touchet

 

Action Items Summary:

Action Responsible Due Date
Financials: Increase paid memberships via directory distribution all ongoing
Financials: Tweak membership application Ellie before March 6
Financials: Ask Green Space about water fountains Bryon next Green Space mtg
Financials: Ask city about fountains Ellie ASAP
Directory: Print out 250 membership applications Michelle March 6
Social: Place signs RE: neighborhood event Kenda March 2
Social:  Provide Cheese and Chutney platter Cheryl, Kenda March 3 (FF)
Social: Ask Mike & Saul if they can host another month Cheryl By March 21
By-Laws: Create draft version of current by-laws Julie March 21

 

Opening:  The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm.  Michelle Stellmaker will be acting as the Secretary for this Board meeting. The meeting was conducted in-person at the Helwig residence, 1826 Marydale.

 

Financials: (Michelle S.)

  • Brian VanderMolen has been taken off the SPENA Savings Account.
  • Michelle Stellmaker will be responsible for going to the bank to conduct business.
  • Membership-currently at 37 paid memberships; lower than this point last year; membership party was lightly attended this year
  • Confirmed sidewalk and pet waste stations reimbursement from OOCCL (Grant)
  • Still no word on the status of the water fountains
  • Will provide membership applications (half-sheet format) with delivered directories
  • Action Item: Ellie will tweak the membership application
  • Action Item: Increase paid memberships (via directory distribution)
  • Action Item: Bryan will ask about water fountains at next Green Space meeting
  • Action Item: Ellie will ask the city about water fountains

 

Directory:      

  • 24 of the directories have been printed; the rest of the directories will be printed by Monday (2.27)
  • Cheryl will be out of town, so we’ll distribute the directories the week of March 6
  • Volunteers to deliver: Pittengers (Old Orchard); Nicholsons; Rybarski
  • Action Item: Michelle to print out 250 membership applications to go with the directory distribution

 

Dash for the Beads: (Julie)

  • Need volunteers to staff our water station at the corner of Colorado and Plymouth
  • Dash will provide Gatorade; Rob Lee will provide tables; Michelle Touchet will provide large igloo beverage dispenser

 

Social: (Cheryl)

  • First Fridays are experiencing lower attendance (may be due to new families with young children?)
  • Focusing on more ‘family’ events to include more neighbors
  • March First Friday (March 3); Host: Meredith Petree (Marydale)
  • April Events

o       Garage sale-promote via Facebook, Constant Contact; remind individuals they must be permitted (free online application: https://dallascityhall.com/departments/codecompliance/garagesale/DCH%20documents/garageSale_application.pdf)

o       Corner Crawl-JC & Rhea Allen and Melissa & Tom Jordan and other house?; details TBD

o       Easter Egg Hunt (Toddler Park, April 16, 9:00); Kathryn to coordinate candy and eggs (donations accepted at 2037 Mayflower)

o       It’s My Park Day April 22

  • May Events

o       Block Party (Date pending)

▪        Lucky Pierres to perform (Pittengers, Old Orchard)

▪        Hire Mr. Hamburger at $11 per person (all inclusive – burgers, condiments, sides)

▪        SPENA to cover $6, Neighbor to pay $5 per person (Still to be confirmed)

▪        Possibly ask a select group to bring desserts

▪        Mike and Saul have volunteered to host First Friday in May,

  • Action Item: Place signs RE: neighborhood event week of Feb 27
  • Action Item: Cheryl and Kenda to provide Cheese and Chutney platter for First Friday. Michelle S, Ellie and Julie will chip in something as well.

 

By-Laws (Julie)

  • Need an electronic ‘working document’ of current by-laws so we can rearrange/edit
  • Action Item: Julie to working on Draft version of current by-laws. Michelle offered to see if PDF can be converted.

 

OOCL Rep: (Ellie)

  • Need to recruit a SPENA neighbor to join OOCCL to report and vote SPENA’s interests
  • Position is manageable, clearly defined
  • OOCCL is a well-established organization with many participating interested parties

 

Conservation District Update (Kenda and Michelle)

  • Petitions have been acquired for each homeowner/household
  • 53% of listed owners must sign their purple petition forms in order to move forward with any discussions with The City
  • Purple petition forms were discussed with and given to present board members

New Topics:

  • OOCCL grant application for this year (Ellie); potential partners include: Stevens Park Elem, Kahn Elem, or Lida Hooe Elem; additional partner would help leverage money and make bigger contribution to the community
  • Green Space (Bryon)- Will a donation to this group be on the budget again this year? Answer: Depends on the number of paid members we get; If so, we will give donation during the Green Space Golf Tournament (SPENA sponsor flag on the course)

 

Closing:   The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm

 

Next Meeting:  Tuesday, March 21, 7:00 pm